Student Opportunities – MBA
Make the Most
of Your MBA
We’re transforming MBA graduates into future leaders. In addition to taking on challenging role assignments within a given function, you’ll have the distinct advantage of joining the Lilly Leadership Development Program, allowing for professional development, social opportunities, overseas assignments and access to senior leaders. Explore your area of interest below.
Accelerated Management Program
Fast track your career to senior management. This is an exceptional opportunity for MBAs who want to become corporate business leaders at a global Fortune 125 company. Our unique, highly competitive 12-week internship provides the opportunity solve real business challenges while serving as a launching point for VP-level leadership roles. You’ll be challenged with projects that make life better for people around the world while supporting critical business decisions within cross-functional business development teams. Functions include, but are not limited to:
- Market Access, Strategy and Analytics
- Strategy and Development
Top talent with a pioneering mindset, management expertise and business acumen are essential to providing leadership for Lilly. To qualify, you should have five to seven years of work experience including experience leading a team. With a number of potentially life-changing molecules in the robust development pipeline, we continue to serve the patients who need our medicines the most.
Accelerated R&D Leadership Program
The Accelerated R&D Leadership Program targets physician- and scientist-MBAs who want to become leaders at the intersection of business and science in a global Fortune 125 company. Successful R&D leaders at Lilly drive decisions that make life better for people around the world.
As a participant in this unique program, you’ll work across functions to make meaningful strategic and innovative contributions, while building strong connections throughout Lilly. We’ll invest in your development in both the pharmaceutical industry and in leading others by leveraging your skills and expertise to prepare you for enterprise-wide influence. Program elements include:
- 12 week internship (for full-time MBAs between first and second year)
- Upon full-time employment, entry into the 24-month rotational development program
- Projects spanning the R&D value chain, from drug discovery to
commercialization, tailored to your skills and interests, including,
but not limited to:
- Business Development
- Clinical Trial Design, Delivery, and Analytics
- Competitive Intelligence
- Decision Sciences
- Global Regulatory Affairs
- New Product Planning
- Portfolio Strategy
- Mentoring and senior leader sponsors
- Peer coach
- Opportunities for advanced training and certification
Participants in this program should be...
- Highly motivated and driven physician (MD) or scientist (PhD) leaders with a passion for the combining the science of medicine with business strategy
- Inspired to expand their ability to make a difference in someone else’s life
- Entrepreneurial and innovative thinkers
- Demonstrated leaders
- Agile learners with the ability to create and implement new ideas
Finance Leadership Development Program
Our Finance Leadership Development Program (FLDP) targets MBAs who want to become corporate finance leaders at a global Fortune 125 company. Through our 12-week internship, interns are given projects that solve real business problems with an opportunity to interact across a wide variety of business functions. Post-internship, candidates are given broad experiences, coaching and formal training to prepare them to be leaders in the organization.
- 12-week internship
- Upon full-time employment, one-two rotations in the first 36 months across FP&A, M&A, Treasury and Audit
- International experience
- Senior leadership mentor
- Access to senior leaders
- Finance and leadership development training
- Three to five years of work experience prior to business school
- Deep expertise in business fundamentals
- Demonstrated leadership
Employee Profile: Finance MBA
Lilly financial consultant Alex Wolfe knew he wanted to work with numbers, but he also discovered the unique opportunity to make short- and long-term strategic recommendations based on those numbers.
Human Resource MBAs are critical to the success of our business. Here, you’ll play a vital role in the future of the company by supporting the individuals and teams who are working towards the next big drug discovery. As an HR MBA intern, you’ll partner with business leaders to develop appropriate HR strategy, ranging from workforce planning, to capability development and talent management. Specific areas of concentration include:
- Strategic Business Partnership
- Leadership Development
- Employee Relations
Lilly employees are making lives better for people around the world and our HR professionals empower us all to be at our best. With a robust drug portfolio and multiple molecules in the development pipeline, Lilly needs HR MBA leaders who are able to build capabilities and engage a global workforce.
Employee Profile: Human Resources MBA
Learn why Joe Owen, Lilly Human Resources data management team manager, is excited about his job and the opportunity to work globally with different cultures.
Market Access, Strategy and Analytics
Strategy and Analytics
This is an exceptional opportunity for MBAs with a blended background or skill set in finance, analytics, business and/or marketing to become corporate business leaders at a global Fortune 125 company. The Market Access, Strategy and Analytics team plays a vital role in the commercial success of Lilly drugs, while helping to make potentially life-changing molecules readily accessible to patients around the world.
Through our 12-week internship, you’ll be challenged with projects that solve real business problems. You’ll focus on developing strategies and messages that resonate with “payer” entities such as insurance companies, pharmacies and government bodies who pay for or restrict access to medications for patients. Other responsibilities can include, but are not limited to:
- Educating payers on the value of Lilly products
- Partnering with various brand teams to identify strategies for engaging specific patient populations
- Analyzing how Lilly brands can work better with insurance companies or government entities to improve the customer experience
- Owning brand oversight for current and future program/service offerings that impact internal and external partnering
With multiple potentially life-changing drugs in the development pipeline, and today’s rapidly changing health care system, more importance than ever is being placed on “payer” entities as decision-makers in providing accessible drugs to patients. Lilly needs top talent who can successfully communicate the value of Lilly drugs to these entities so products can be readily delivered to those who need them most.
This is an exceptional opportunity for MBAs with at least three years of marketing experience who desire to lead an organization in driving marketing business strategies and communicating the value of life-changing medications to a variety of customers in 120 countries.
As a Marketing MBA intern, you’ll work to discover deep customer insights, and use those to drive decisions aimed at ensuring the right medications reach the right patients at the right time, potentially yielding life-changing results. Responsibilities could include:
- Working with different customer types such as consumers, health care providers, payer entities (i.e. insurance companies, pharmacies and government bodies)
- Influencing across different business units such as biomedicines, diabetes, oncology, emerging markets and animal health
- Impacting various stages in the drug lifecycle such as new product planning, pre-product launch, post-product launch and long-standing products
As the health care landscape continues to change and as Lilly prepares to launch several new life-changing molecules, we need Marketing MBAs with the ability to drive fresh marketing initiatives across different customer groups, globally.
Employee Profile: Marketing MBA
As a global market research consultant for Lilly, DeRoyce Simmons knows his insights will be impactful and influence key decisions.
Learn how your passion for using technology to solve business challenges can help make life better for people around the world. Our Technology Management program merges technology and health care, providing you with the unique opportunity to be a critical problem solver and leader in two of today’s most rapidly changing fields.
MBA Technology Management professionals are valued strategic leaders across all functional areas at Lilly — from marketing and finance, to HR and manufacturing — solving real business problems and leading critical projects and large teams of people. As Lilly’s focus on technology innovation continues to grow, we need strong leaders who can drive change with technology. Responsibilities for Technology Management interns can include but are not limited to:
- Leading projects to improve user experience on various technology platforms
- Taking ownership of initiatives to improve business process flow through the implementation of new technologies and/or improvement of existing systems that are critical at various stages of discovery, development and production
Employee Profile: Technology Management MBA
Mandy Su plays an important cross-functional role for Lilly as an IT consultant. She orchestrates the company's IT strategy by partnering with business partners to ensure their vision is realized.
Lilly focuses on developing each and everyLatrice S. Finance
employee to be successful.”
I am happy to be a part of a companyElle P. Marketing
that is making life better for people
around the world.”
At Lilly, we keep the people we serveManuel A. Martinez S. Biopress Research and Development
in mind at every step of the process to make
a new medicine.”
By signing up for job alerts, you’ll be the first to learn about opportunities that could be a great fit for you via periodic email updates.Sign Up
Join Our Talent Community
Share a bit about yourself, such as the career area you are interested in. We will then reach out to you when the perfect position is available!