Research Scientist-Structural Biology
San Diego, California
Company OverviewAt Lilly, we unite caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We are a global healthcare leader headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our 39,000 employees around the world work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to our communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. We give our best effort to our work, and we put people first. We’re looking for people who are determined to make life better for people around the world.
The Discovery Chemistry & Technologies organization within Lilly Research Laboratories is seeking a highly skilled scientist to join the structural biology group based in San Diego, California. The successful candidate will be involved supporting drug discovery for numerous challenging protein projects. The primary focus will be to play a key role in the development and deployment of methodologies to accelerate X-ray crystallography of protein targets. Broad experience with proteins, along with a proven track record of structural determination is required. Experience with computational approaches to structure-based drug design is preferred. Do you have extensive experience in drug discovery and computational approaches to small molecule drug design? This could be the team for you.
- Strong crystallographer and crystallizer with the ability to lead multiple gene-to-structure efforts in parallel, with the goal of delivering novel protein structures for the optimization of small molecules
- Ability to take on challenging protein projects and achieve success through innovative ways
- Devise and implement novel methods for the expression, purification, crystallization and structural determination of small molecule protein complexes, integral membrane proteins and nucleic acid protein complexes
- Work collaboratively with groups within structural biology as a member of larger group of scientists that may include synthetic chemists, computational chemists, biologists, enzymologists, and ADME scientists
- Tap into expertise across Lilly to access technologies and develop collaborations that position projects for timely progression
- Ph.D. in biological sciences (life sciences, molecular biology, biochemistry, or similar field)
- or B.S./B.A. in biological sciences (life sciences, molecular biology, biochemistry, or similar field) with at least 8 years post-graduate relevant academic or industrial experience
- Proficiency in basic organic chemistry, and ability to influence small molecule drug design
- Familiarity with biophysical techniques that are complementary to, or support x-ray crystallography
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a positive attitude
- Strong leadership skills with proven ability to lead through example
- Excellent communication, planning, organizational and record keeping skills (attention to detail)
- Skill to influence scientific direction across sites and functions
- Highly motivated individual with the ability to thrive in a team-oriented setting in a fast-paced drug discovery environment
- Coordinate with project teams and structural biology colleagues across Lilly sites
Additional InformationLilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status
Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly USA, LLC and our wholly owned subsidiaries (collectively “Lilly”) are committed to help individuals with disabilities participate in the workforce and ensure equal opportunity to compete for jobs. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to participate in the application processes please email Lilly Recruiting Compliance. Please note, this email address is intended for use only to request a disability accommodation, please email Lilly Recruiting Compliance for further assistance. Inquiries which are not requests for accommodations may not receive a response.
To submit resume, visit https://www.lilly.com/careers and apply to Req ID 56939.
Lilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Our scientists and researchers are developing the breakthrough medicines of tomorrow. Join us and become a creative innovator and thinker who can improve the lives of millions.
We’d love to meet you to discuss career opportunities. Check our calendar now to see when we’ll be in your area.View All Events
By signing up for job alerts, you’ll be the first to learn about opportunities that could be a great fit for you via periodic email updates.Sign Up
Join Our Talent Community
Share a bit about yourself, such as the career area you are interested in. We will then reach out to you when the perfect position is available!Sign Up