Research Scientist - Medicinal Chemistry
At Lilly, we unite caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We are a global healthcare leader headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our 35,000 employees around the world work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to our communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. We give our best effort to our work, and we put people first. We’re looking for people who are determined to make life better for people around the world.
The Discovery Chemistry & Technologies organization within Lilly Research Laboratories is seeking a highly skilled scientist and team player to join the Medicinal Chemistry group based in Madrid, Spain.
Summary of the position:
The successful candidate will:
- Keep safety as top priority at any time, striving to maintain a strong safety culture.
- Formulate hypothesis, design and synthetize novel small molecules to engage disease modifying targets and contribute decisively to the advancement of drug discovery programs from early lead generation to submission of candidate drugs to the clinic.
- Leverage world-class structure-based drug design technologies and partner with expert colleagues in computational chemistry and biophysics to characterize protein-ligand interactions and gain key insights supporting de-novo molecular design.
- Optimize lead compounds to improve potency, selectivity, physicochemical properties and DMPK to meet the desired target product profiles required to invent high-quality medicines.
- Deliver high laboratory synthetic productivity to inform fast-paced SAR iterations through proposal and execution of synthetic routes.
- Team up with colleagues specialized in high-throughput automated synthesis, route optimization and scale-up to maximize the overall efficiency and productivity of the group.
- Reach out across disciplines to interact and collaborate with scientists in areas like pharmacology, translational science, ADME, toxicology and legal to address specific program needs, increase overall business acuity and provide them with Medicinal Chemistry perspectives.
Required Education and Experience:
- PhD in Organic Chemistry with demonstrated experience (2+ years) in small molecule organic synthesis and synthetic methodology, either in pharmaceutical industry or postdoctoral experience.
- Strong Synthetic Organic Chemistry skills with deep and extensive working knowledge of modern synthetic chemistry methodologies, experimental work, isolation/purification techniques and structural analysis of synthetic organic molecules. Ability to maintain awareness of latest literature of chemical transformations.
- Scientific creativity and ability to work independently solving problems through careful experimental design, analysis of complex data sets and mechanistic insight.
- Robust track record of scientific contributions including peer reviewed publications, patents and presentations.
- Excellent English language oral and written communication skills, ability to engage highly effectively as team player in a multidisciplinary and international environment.
- Excellent collaboration skills, strong attention to detail, strong problem-solving capacity, a high level of learning agility, ability to work across functions and within a global and matrixed organization.
Additional desired skills:
- Experience with small molecule drug hunting at the molecular design stage.
- Medicinal Chemistry expertise in pharmaceutical, biotechnology or academic environments, with strong knowledge of the following areas of Drug Discovery will be highly valued:
- Strong command of structure-based drug design techniques.
- Lead optimization to improve properties of compounds, optimize in vitro and in vivo potency, selectivity, and ADMET properties.
- Modern understanding of ligand binding efficiency, energetics, and how to optimize.
- Demonstrable expertise in specific drug hunting modalities (e.g. covalent inhibitors, targeted protein degradations, etc.) or related discovery chemistry technologies.
- Computational chemistry design tools and methods.
- Biophysical techniques such as X-ray crystallography, SPR, ASMS.
- Command of scientific informatics and data visualization tools to undertake computationally enabled multi-property optimization approaches will be advantageous.
- Ability to lead projects and initiatives, coordinating multiple scientific activities and team members simultaneously across various sites.
Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly USA, LLC and our wholly owned subsidiaries (collectively “Lilly”) are committed to help individuals with disabilities to participate in the workforce and ensure equal opportunity to compete for jobs. If you require an accommodation to submit a resume for positions at Lilly, please email Lilly Human Resources ( Lilly_Recruiting_Compliance@lists.lilly.com ) for further assistance. Please note This email address is intended for use only to request an accommodation as part of the application process. Any other correspondence will not receive a response.
Lilly does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
To submit resume, visit https://www.lilly.com/careers and apply to Req ID R-13059.
Lilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Our scientists and researchers are developing the breakthrough medicines of tomorrow. Join us and become a creative innovator and thinker who can improve the lives of millions.
We’d love to meet you to discuss career opportunities. Check our calendar now to see when we’ll be in your area.View All Events
By signing up for job alerts, you’ll be the first to learn about opportunities that could be a great fit for you via periodic email updates.Sign Up
Join Our Talent Community
Share a bit about yourself, such as the career area you are interested in. We will then reach out to you when the perfect position is available!Sign Up