Senior Medical Advisor-Global Patient Safety
Company OverviewAt Lilly, we unite caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We are a global healthcare leader headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our 39,000 employees around the world work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to our communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. We give our best effort to our work, and we put people first. We’re looking for people who are determined to make life better for people around the world.
ResponsibilitiesThe purpose of the GPS Senior Medical Advisor/ Medical Advisor is to perform medical roles within the Global Patient Safety (GPS) Medical function. These include performing as the Product or Molecule Safety Physician/Lead Physician, training /coaching /mentoring and demonstrating Global Patient Safety expertise. He or she is the Eli Lilly & Co. GPS Medical Area representative for both internal and external customers regarding a product or molecule, interacting as prescribed in corporate guidelines, standards and policies. Individualized responsibilities for a particular product or project will be discussed and agreed at an individual level.
Product or Molecule Safety Physician / Lead Physician
- Provide global medical leadership and input into all aspects of safety of assigned product(s) including surveillance programs and risk management planning.
- Ensure proactive safety surveillance:
- lead risk management activities for assigned products globally
- lead and guide the surveillance activities of scientists on the team including signal detection and clarification activities and risk evaluation activities; provide support, training and continued improvement as appropriate
- manage decisions and actions to be taken, including communication to appropriate customers (e.g., Product Teams, Management, Affiliates and Regulators) and
- liaise with GPS Medical Area Directors and with Lilly Medical Therapeutic Area Team Leaders and Directors, as appropriate, to fulfill safety obligations
- Supervise and review reports on safety issues and their implications for the Core Safety Information and Core Risk Minimization Activities, represent PV position to Global Patient Labeling Committee and/or the Safety Review Committee as appropriate.
- Build collaborative working relationships with other Global Patient Safety Physicians and development and brand teams medical globally to ensure full cooperation and high quality medical evaluation of safety data for global regulatory purposes.
- Represent GPS Medical and/or Product on appropriate committees/product development and brand teams.
- Provide medical support for Global Patient Safety activities and reports within the department, as appropriate.
- Provide Global Patient Safety expertise to internal customers (e.g., regulatory, early phase development, business units).
- Provide medical input for review of Adverse Event cases.
- Lead process and provide medical input for review of Suspected Adverse Reactions
- Demonstrate knowledge in pharmacovigilance and risk minimization, which includes understanding of relevant aspects of laws, regulations and guidance.
- Understanding the roles and responsibilities of the European Union Qualified Person (QPPV) and ensure their involvement in the pharmacovigilance system and processes.
- Ensure support and information are provided to enable the QPPV to fulfill all the QPPV legal responsibilities.
- Provide training, coaching and mentorship to safety surveillance scientists, and other GPS Medical physicians and clinical research scientists with respect to medical aspects of safety surveillance
- Provide Global Patient Safety training for development and brand team physicians and clinical research scientists and other audiences (e.g. Regulatory, Lilly Medical) as appropriate.
- Maintain compliance with Lilly Red Book and corporate policies, Lilly Research Laboratories and Global Patient Safety curriculum map.
- Maintaining compliance with the Lilly Corporate Integrity Agreement.
- Provide input to Global Patient Safety Leadership Team and Safety Review Committee as required; actively contribute to the management of Global Patient Safety at strategic level.
Act as the Lilly GPS Medical Representative for both internal and external customers, interacting as prescribed in corporate guidelines and policies
- Build strong relationships with key customers, representing and championing the role of safety in the organization:
- Product Team Leaders and Business Unit Leadership
- Affiliate Medical Directors/Clinical Research Physicians
- COE and Discovery and Clinical Research
- External opinion leaders
- Represent Global Patient Safety within the company and externally; and Review and comment on external regulatory policy and trends affecting Global Patient Safety.
- For each level on every global path, there are a consistent set of job criteria which includes functional and technical expertise, decision making, influence, and problem solving.
- Medical Doctor or Doctor of Osteopathy. Must be board eligible or certified in appropriate specialty/subspecialty or have completed the comparable level of post-medical school clinical training relevant to the country of hiring.
- US trained physicians must have achieved board eligibility or certification.
Foreign medical graduates (in US based jobs) who are not US board eligible or certified may be hired directly for employment in the US at the discretion of the Chief Medical Officer.
- Non-US trained physicians must have completed education and training at a medical school that meets the requirements of the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME). For the recognized list of foreign medical schools and the disapproved list, see http://www.in.gov/pla/2799.htm
- US trained physicians must have achieved board eligibility or certification.
- Clinical research or pharmaceutical medicine experience preferred
- Knowledge of drug development process
- Fluent in English; both written and verbal communications
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and negotiation skills
- Ability to influence others (both cross-functionally and within the function) in order to create a positive working environment.
- Excellent teamwork skills.
- Willing to engage in domestic and international travel to the degree appropriate to support the business of the team.
- Strong clinical/diagnostic skills
- Demonstrated success in implementing projects
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written
- Team player
- Ability to effectively function in a matrix environment
Additional InformationLilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly USA, LLC and our wholly owned subsidiaries (collectively “Lilly”) are committed to help individuals with disabilities participate in the workforce and ensure equal opportunity to compete for jobs. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to participate in the application process, please email Lilly Recruiting Compliance. Please note, this email address is intended for use only to request a disability accommodation, please email Lilly Recruiting Compliance for further assistance. Inquiries which are not requests for accommodations may not receive a response.
To submit resume, visit https://www.lilly.com/careers and apply to Req ID 57672.
Lilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Our scientists and researchers are developing the breakthrough medicines of tomorrow. Join us and become a creative innovator and thinker who can improve the lives of millions.
We’d love to meet you to discuss career opportunities. Check our calendar now to see when we’ll be in your area.View All Events
By signing up for job alerts, you’ll be the first to learn about opportunities that could be a great fit for you via periodic email updates.Sign Up
Join Our Talent Community
Share a bit about yourself, such as the career area you are interested in. We will then reach out to you when the perfect position is available!Sign Up