Principal Research Scientist–RNA Therapeutics CMC
Indianapolis, IndianaNeed Help Applying?
Accommodation Needed to Submit Resume
Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly USA, LLC and our wholly owned subsidiaries (collectively “Lilly”) are committed to help with individuals with disabilities participate in the workforce and ensure equal opportunity to compete for jobs. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to participate in the application process for positions at Lilly please email Lilly Recruiting Compliance for further assistance. Please note, this email address is intended for use only to request an accommodation as a part of the application process. Any other correspondence will not receive a response.
Company OverviewAt Lilly, we unite caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We are a global healthcare leader headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our 39,000 employees around the world work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to our communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. We give our best effort to our work, and we put people first. We’re looking for people who are determined to make life better for people around the world. #WeAreLilly
Small Molecule Design and Development (SMDD) and the RNA Therapeutics Area (TA) are innovation-focused organizations within Lilly Research Laboratories striving to identify, develop and apply cutting-edge technologies to deliver maximum benefit to our patients. The RNA TA endeavors to operate as a small, agile and autonomous “biotech-like” company within the walls of a much larger company and works collaboratively with SMDD to efficiently deliver the RNAi clinical portfolio. Our team is looking for a creative and energetic chemist with experience in chemistry, manufacturing and control (CMC) of oligonucleotides to participate in the design, development, and GMP manufacture of RNAi targets. Expertise should include solid phase synthesis methods and novel synthetic alternatives as well as understanding of purification, isolation and formulation. This role is intended to operate at the interface between the RNA TA and SMDD with an emphasis on CMC activities leading to and supporting clinical trials. Developing and working with external contract manufacturing organizations (CMOs) to support oligonucleotide synthesis and development will be an important aspect of this role. Support of internal chemistry efforts aimed at development and optimization of existing methods and exploration of novel approaches to oligonucleotide synthesis is also expected.
Top candidates for this position will be expected to:
- Identify and lead scientific projects/process improvements where solutions are developed through interactions with diverse talent across the larger organization.
- Possess fluent knowledge in modern synthetic organic and nucleic acid chemistry methods with the drive to challenge existing methods.
- Demonstrate high learning agility regarding grasping and exploiting new scientific concepts and methods across multiple disciplines; strong skills related to automated reactor platforms and purification technologies; be able to apply these learnings to a rapidly evolving portfolio of RNAi assets.
- Provide examples of novel contributions to chemical design and mechanism-based problem solving as part of project driven goals such as total synthesis, novel methodology development and oligonucleotide synthesis. These examples should also be reflected in a strong publication record in peer reviewed journals.
- Collaborate with internal and external manufacturing partners to develop robust chemical processes that are readily amenable to efficient drug substance manufacturing for both clinical and commercial settings.
- Engage the external chemistry environment through presentations, publication at external symposia or consortia. These activities are expected to advance the internal Lilly portfolio and help create new opportunities.
- Identify, partner and develop external chemistry innovations to complement existing internal capabilities and incorporate these innovations across the portfolio of assets.
- PhD degree in a relevant scientific discipline with 7-10 years of experience
- or MS degree with 10+ years of relevant experience (synthesis, oligonucleotide experience, solid phase synthesis, CMC, GMP processing).
- Experience in development / CMC including quality and regulatory interactions is expected.
- Good interpersonal skills and a sustained tendency for collaboration.
- Demonstrated initiative and appropriate risk-taking.
- Demonstrated technical proficiency and ability to create ideas for future work plans.
- Strong technical skills to supply business value.
- Knowledge and experience with management of a technical project.
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities especially in a team environment.
- Ability to prioritize multiple activities and manage ambiguity.
- Ability to influence others to promote a positive work environment.
- Demonstrated success in persuasion, influence and negotiation.
- Potential exposure to chemicals, allergens and loud noises.
- Lilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status
To submit resume, visit https://www.lilly.com/careers and apply to Req ID 53664.
Lilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Our scientists and researchers are developing the breakthrough medicines of tomorrow. Join us and become a creative innovator and thinker who can improve the lives of millions.
We’d love to meet you to discuss career opportunities. Check our calendar now to see when we’ll be in your area.View All Events
By signing up for job alerts, you’ll be the first to learn about opportunities that could be a great fit for you via periodic email updates.Sign Up
Join Our Talent Community
Share a bit about yourself, such as the career area you are interested in. We will then reach out to you when the perfect position is available!Sign Up