Post-Doctoral Scientist-Fixed Duration Employee
Cambridge, MassachusettsNeed Help Applying?
Accommodation Needed to Submit Resume
Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly USA, LLC and our wholly owned subsidiaries (collectively “Lilly”) are committed to help with individuals with disabilities participate in the workforce and ensure equal opportunity to compete for jobs. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to participate in the application process for positions at Lilly please email Lilly Recruiting Compliance for further assistance. Please note, this email address is intended for use only to request an accommodation as a part of the application process. Any other correspondence will not receive a response.
Company OverviewFor more than 130 years, Lilly has been dedicated to meeting the health care needs of people in the United States and around the world. We address these needs primarily by developing innovative medicines—investing a higher percentage of our sales in research and development than any other major pharmaceutical company.
Due to a strategic commitment to the growth of biotherapeutics within the Lilly portfolio, multiple opportunities are currently available within the Bioproduct Research and Development (BRD) and Drug Delivery and Device Research and Development (DDRD) organizations. This group is a multidisciplinary organization, focused on the development and commercialization of parenteral formulations of small molecules and large molecules such as monoclonal antibodies, insulin formulations, novel therapeutic proteins and peptides. The organization also has a unique focus on patient centered drug product and delivery system solutions utilizing both internal and external technologies. As part of this effort, Lilly has recently increased investment in Cambridge, MA to build a site dedicated to bringing in innovative solutions to drug product development and delivery challenges. As part of the investment, a Pharmaceutical Sciences and Device innovation lab has being built and co-located within the Innovation Center that consists of teams working on Formulation, Drug Delivery and Device technologies, with the goal of fostering integrated innovation among the groups.
We are seeking highly motivated professionals with a start-up mentality to join our new Innovation Center in Cambridge, Massachusetts, to explore, develop and prototype new and emerging formulation and drug delivery technologies. If you have an interest in exploring new frontiers into formulation and drug delivery strategies, and use interdisciplinary problem solving methods to create breakthrough solutions for patients, you should consider joining our diverse team.
At Lilly, we unite caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We are a global healthcare leader headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our 39,000 employees around the world work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to our communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. We give our best effort to our work, and we put people first. We’re looking for people who are determined to make life better for people around the world.
ResponsibilitiesThe scientist will be responsible for evaluating new formulation and device strategies for optimizing subcutaneous drug delivery. The candidate will be conducting studies to build in-vivo and biological understanding needed to optimize the development of protein and peptide drug formulations and delivery systems. The candidate will apply expertise in various aspects of drug delivery to understand the impact of protein, formulation and device system properties on drug absorption to enable development of innovative drug products.
The responsibilities for this role will include:
- Develop imaging techniques that can help the understanding of subcutaneous behavior of biologics in subcutaneous space.
- Develop and execute experiments to understand the behavior of proteins when delivered in the subcutaneous space.
- Work effectively in pharmaceutical sciences and device engineering teams to innovate and evaluate new drug delivery and device technologies for delivery of parenteral products
- Work in teams focusing on research on understanding of formulation impact on immunogenicity and pharmacokinetics, high concentration/ high volume formulations, preservative compatibility with bioproducts etc.
- Innovate or Assess cutting edge formulation methodologies for complex or unstable bioproducts (peptides, proteins, RNA, fusion proteins and drug conjugates)
- Keep abreast of relevant new technologies / capabilities and regulatory initiatives / requirements.
- Authoring of technical reports , research grants, journal publications and regulatory documents
- PhD in Biomedical Engineering, Biology or Biochemistry
- Experience/ knowledge of drug delivery, lipid nanoparticles, RNA and device technologies
- Basic understanding of Insulins, peptides, proteins, degradation pathways, and general approaches for stabilization
- Able to independently contribute from the bench (design and execute studies to develop a formulation)
- Experience/ knowledge of parenteral formulations development for preclinical, clinical and commercial use (including lyophilized and solutions formulations).
- In depth understanding of protein chemistry, structure and conformation, as relates to chemical and physical stability of small and large molecules.
- Demonstrated technical / scientific leadership skills; applied to problem-solving
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Must be able to work productively in an interdisciplinary team environment
- This position is not permanent. It is for a fixed duration of two years with potential to extend annually for up to 4 years.
- Lilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
To submit resume, visit https://www.lilly.com/careers and apply to Req ID 53528.
Lilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Our scientists and researchers are developing the breakthrough medicines of tomorrow. Join us and become a creative innovator and thinker who can improve the lives of millions.
We’d love to meet you to discuss career opportunities. Check our calendar now to see when we’ll be in your area.View All Events
By signing up for job alerts, you’ll be the first to learn about opportunities that could be a great fit for you via periodic email updates.Sign Up
Join Our Talent Community
Share a bit about yourself, such as the career area you are interested in. We will then reach out to you when the perfect position is available!Sign Up