Director-Search & Evaluate-Neuroscience
Cambridge, MassachusettsNeed Help Applying?
Accommodation Needed to Submit Resume
Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly USA, LLC and our wholly owned subsidiaries (collectively “Lilly”) are committed to help with individuals with disabilities participate in the workforce and ensure equal opportunity to compete for jobs. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to participate in the application process for positions at Lilly please email Lilly Recruiting Compliance for further assistance. Please note, this email address is intended for use only to request an accommodation as a part of the application process. Any other correspondence will not receive a response.
Company OverviewAt Lilly, we unite caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We are a global healthcare leader headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our 39,000 employees around the world work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to our communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. We give our best effort to our work, and we put people first. We’re looking for people who are determined to make life better for people around the world. #WeAreLilly
ResponsibilitiesThe Search & Evaluation (S&E) function takes an entrepreneurial approach to the delivery of novel medicines to patients by seeking external innovation that complements Lilly’s internal research efforts. This may include early and late stage molecules for potential in-licensing, partnering or acquisition as well as technology platforms and generating value from internal Lilly and externally identified assets via novel financing models.
The Search & Evaluation Advisor-Neuroscience will play a critical role in the identification, scientific evaluation and coordination of external innovation partnering for potential new medicines that meet patient unmet needs and support the growth of Lilly’s Neuroscience portfolio, with particular emphasis on Pain and Headache and Neurodegenerative disease. Neuroscience has long been a priority focus for Lilly and the successful candidate will have an essential role in ensuring that Lilly is considered a partner of choice in this area and continues to be a world leader in developing Neuroscience therapies that deliver improved patient outcomes.
The role responsibilities include the detailed assessment of technical merit and strategic fit of external assets at all stages of discovery and development, review of intellectual property status, and the generation of constructive technical feedback for external parties. S/he will represent Lilly at external partnering conferences, lead visits to external companies with Lilly Research Labs and Business Unit leadership, and Lilly’s broader External Innovation team, as appropriate, and lead the communication of technical evaluations to internal and external stakeholders. Similarly, s/he will cultivate relationships within the external innovation community including pharma and biotech companies, venture capital groups as well as academic institutions and other relevant scientific organizations. Importantly, s/he will have in depth understanding of the drug discovery and development process and technical breakthroughs to provide Lilly with competitive access to potential opportunities of strategic interest.
The successful candidate will be expected to establish an effective internal network with senior leadership across Lilly Research Labs, understand evolving governance structures and be capable of using these networks to inform and drive decision-making both within and across Therapy Areas and Business Units as needed. The successful candidate will understand the internal discovery, clinical and technology portfolio and use this insight to identify and prioritize high-value external assets, disruptive innovation and opportunities for future investment.
This role requires outstanding problem solving, project management and leadership skills, and the ability to multitask the concurrent processing and implementation of all active programs to ensure Lilly does not miss any critical opportunity. While the focus of this position is on Neuroscience assets, the ideal candidate will have a broad scientific proficiency and drug discovery and development experience in order to enable the possibility of assisting in the opportunistic evaluation of assets in adjacent disease areas as necessary.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Leadership of interactions with external organizations. Represent Lilly strategies and needs to external organizations (companies, investment groups, VCs, academic community, government agencies, etc.)
- Leadership in the identification and rigorous, objective scientific assessment of potential partnership opportunities, including the identification of key issues and appropriate expertise to facilitate resolution.
- Leadership in building long-term relationships which will include providing constructive technical feedback to potential partners at various stages of review, focusing on relationships in parallel to evaluations, and nurturing interactions
- Timely and effective communication / interface / influence with internal leadership and decision makers across Lilly Therapy Areas and Business Units
- Mapping of the external competitive landscape with a focus on the Boston area and cultivating platforms for growth in new-to-Lilly indications or disruptive technologies that could change treatment paradigms.
- Work effectively within the broader Lilly External Innovation team; e.g., Due Diligence, Corporate Business Development, Corporate Finance and Investment Banking, and Alliance Management.
- Coaching and mentoring of less senior members of staff in the Lilly Neuroscience and External Innovation organizations.
- Ph.D. and/or M.D. in a discipline related to pharmaceutical drug discovery and development; e.g., Neuroscience, Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Pharmacology, or Cell Biology.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in the pharmaceutical or related fields.
- Demonstrated deep scientific expertise in Neuroscience.
- Demonstrated expertise and experience of pharmaceutical discovery and development including patents. Familiarity with newer therapeutic modalities e.g. oligonucleotides, gene therapy would be advantageous but is not required.
- Track record of project delivery from discovery through early clinical development.
- Demonstrated operational and organizational experience and the ability to think with broad perspective while not losing sight of important details.
- Experience of running cross-company collaborations in US, Europe, Asia would be valuable.
- Outstanding interpersonal and negotiation skills and willingness and ability to deal with conflicts.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills with ability to represent Lilly at international meetings.
- Demonstrated strong database, informatics and computer skills.
- Lilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
- Core work hours, Mon-Friday
- Position is located in Cambridge, MA
- 10-20% travel is anticipated (including international travel outside the US)
- Reports to Senior Advisor, Search & Evaluation
To submit resume, visit https://www.lilly.com/careers and apply to Req ID 54586.
Lilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Our scientists and researchers are developing the breakthrough medicines of tomorrow. Join us and become a creative innovator and thinker who can improve the lives of millions.
We’d love to meet you to discuss career opportunities. Check our calendar now to see when we’ll be in your area.View All Events
By signing up for job alerts, you’ll be the first to learn about opportunities that could be a great fit for you via periodic email updates.Sign Up
Join Our Talent Community
Share a bit about yourself, such as the career area you are interested in. We will then reach out to you when the perfect position is available!Sign Up