Medical Science Liaison
Birmingham, AlabamaNeed Help Applying?
Accommodation Needed to Submit Resume
Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly USA, LLC and our wholly owned subsidiaries (collectively “Lilly”) are committed to help with individuals with disabilities participate in the workforce and ensure equal opportunity to compete for jobs. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to participate in the application process for positions at Lilly please email Lilly Recruiting Compliance for further assistance. Please note, this email address is intended for use only to request an accommodation as a part of the application process. Any other correspondence will not receive a response.
Company OverviewAt Lilly, we unite caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We are a global healthcare leader headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our 39,000 employees around the world work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to our communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. We give our best effort to our work, and we put people first. We’re looking for people who are determined to make life better for people around the world.
Scientific Experts (SEs) are individuals who are noted for their expertise in a therapeutic area and as a result have special needs for in-depth and cutting edge information, because they design and implement novel research and educate colleagues and students. The Medical Science Liaison (MSL) program is specifically designed to meet these needs through a field-based group of medical professionals with deep content knowledge about specific disease states, Lilly and competitor compounds and current issues in the therapeutic areas they represent. MSLs recognize and communicate feedback and insights of strategic importance from their interactions with SEs, to better inform Lilly’s strategic direction for research and commercialization. By facilitating scientific exchange between industry and the scientific community, MSLs have the opportunity to shape the future of healthcare by providing needed information that addresses important clinical and scientific questions.
Maintain and effectively communicate deep scientific knowledge
MSLs are required to engage in continuous learning to maintain the highest level of technical expertise within the therapeutic area they represent. This will enable the MSL to answer deep scientific questions and valued by their customers based on peer-credible knowledge and expertise. As a result, the MSL is a reliable, trusted, resource of unbiased, accurate, up-to-date, medical and scientific knowledge requested and desired by their customers.
Excel at customer engagement and support medical/scientific information needs of scientific experts
MSLs will spend the majority of their time field based and customer facing engaging in mutually beneficial 2-way dialogues with SEs. Through the application of emotional intelligence and a deep understanding of their customers, MSLs will act as one of the primary interfaces between Lilly’s medical division and SEs to deliver the best in class customer experiences. Core to the role is answering customer questions by providing deep and advanced disease state and product information. Additionally, MSLs connect SEs with other Lilly resources or internal business partners as appropriate and identify possible collaboration opportunities.
Strategic vision and leadership
MSLs synthesize complex data and effectively communicate meaningful clinical insights and unanswered customer questions they receive from SEs to Lilly medical and cross-functional teams. They use creative problem solving skills and utilize internal resources effectively to execute upon solutions. MSLs use a principle based decision-making approach to make decisions independently or escalate them appropriately. They cultivate internal networks and collaborate effectively across functions with an active contribution to medical planning and strategy in the affiliate.
MSLs are expected to demonstrate strategic analysis, planning, and prioritization to maximize efficiency. They will implement and evaluate a strategic territory plan-prioritizing core MSL activity and take personal accountability for results.
The MSL will execute the role in a compliant manner, adhering to all governing internal and external requirements, procedures, and laws, demonstrating good judgement at all times.
- Advanced degree in health sciences (PharmD, MD, PhD in a medically related field) required with 2-3 years of relevant clinical or therapeutic area experience in the Immunology/ Rheumatology space desired.
- Masters or Bachelors level degree in health sciences (e.g. BSN, RPh, PA, NP) considered if 3 or more years clinical, research or industry (medical/scientific role) experience in relevant therapeutic area is present.
- Valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record
- Field based position requires ability to travel up to 75% and work up to 4 to 6 weekends a year.
- Applicants must live in close proximity to a transportion hub (airport/train station).
- Intellectual curiosity about the field of science/medicine for which they are responsible.
- Learning agility to comprehend and effectively communicate large amounts of complex scientific content in a clear and concise fashion.
- Self-directed and able to work alone in the field effectively managing multiple priorities and projects.
- Advanced presentation and computer skills with expertise in literature identification.
- Effective strategic and critical thinking in order to analyze, assess and evaluate information and interpret impact or relevance to future states.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to use field-based electronic or other communication tools for all aspects of job is critical.
- Resiliency in managing complex challenges.
- Strong teamwork and interpersonal skills, including high emotional intelligence and the ability to engage in professional relationship building and networking
- Experience in servicing customer needs for complex information.
- Significant experience in professional networking with mutually beneficial outcomes.
- Experience in field based working environment highly valued.
- Familiarity with health systems, academic communities, medical research, and medical education process highly valued.
Additional InformationLilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status
To submit resume, visit https://www.lilly.com/careers and apply to Req ID 52593.
Lilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Our scientists and researchers are developing the breakthrough medicines of tomorrow. Join us and become a creative innovator and thinker who can improve the lives of millions.
We’d love to meet you to discuss career opportunities. Check our calendar now to see when we’ll be in your area.View All Events
By signing up for job alerts, you’ll be the first to learn about opportunities that could be a great fit for you via periodic email updates.Sign Up
Join Our Talent Community
Share a bit about yourself, such as the career area you are interested in. We will then reach out to you when the perfect position is available!Sign Up