MD IDS Data Wrangler
At Lilly, we unite caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We are a global healthcare leader headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our 35,000 employees around the world work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to our communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. We give our best effort to our work, and we put people first. We’re looking for people who are determined to make life better for people around the world.
At Lilly, we unite caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We are a global healthcare leader headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our 39,000 employees work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to our communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. We give our best effort to our work, and we put people first. We’re looking for people who are determined to make life better for people around the globe.
The Enterprise Data program is developing a fully integrated and intuitive data and analytics platform. This platform will enable Lilly team members to quickly view, access, and analyze data sets in statistical environments, advanced analytics environments, and BI/visualization tools. Contributors can easily ingest, prepare, and analyze new data sets (cleanse, enhance, publish) for others to utilize.
This position is responsible for leading the development and maintenance of data wrangling processes, data model designs, and data visualization or dashboards for information integration and exchange initiatives. The Data Wrangler / Analyst works closely with business SME’s to understand desired product outcomes and design and implement data movement, tranformations, and visualizations to answer business questions. A key area of focus will be the review and approval of data movement to ensure consistent validated operational processes across the enterprise.
The data wrangler / analyst should be familiar with clinical data standards (ex – CDISC), formal database designs (3NF, Dimensional Models) as well as have a practical working knowledge of clincial business processes.
Data Wrangling and Visualization are the visible business enablements for decision making. The data wrangler / analyst is expected to work with business subject matter experts (SME), quality representatives, and architects to facilitate business SME development, or directly produce and manage business information data movement processes and visualization dashboards. The data wrangler / analyst is instrumental in ensuring adherence to information principles, capabilities, tools and especially validation processes to ensure an easily maintainable operational process, structured for broad re-use, and traceable for auditability. Additionally, the functional data/information architecture office (governing body) is used as a lens and a filter to identify common patterns, establish reuse, prioritize and execute the data and analytic initiatives with clear line of sight to enterprise strategies and business outcomes.
Key capabilities in this role family include:
- Data/Information Vision and Strategy, which includes the ability to work with business to identify future uses for Lilly data and anticipated business results and enable processes to support these needs.
- Data Movement and Visualization. This includes the ability to develop a technical strategy for re-usable data integration, as well as ensure a secure and positive user-experience for interacting with data.
Note: All data wrangler / analyst roles should have a foundational set of knowledge in: communication, leadership, teamwork, problem solving skills, business acumen, data standards (e.e. HL7, CDISC, SDTM), data vocabularies (MedDRA, RxNorm, SNOMED), project delivery, and industry knowledge.
- Develop and provide expertise in enabling business usage of data; this includes enabling data as a strategic asset through data relationships, data quality, security, understanding of business data needs and the associated technology toolsets and methodologies.
- Develop understanding how the enterprise data strategies, platforms, and technologies enable business execution. Use this knowledge to appropriately challenge status quo and drive business-IT collaboration.
- Analyze data from multiple domains; discover trends and associations, synthesize new integration constructs that assist non-expert users to find similar trends and associations.
- Facilitate efficient and scalable data exchange between Lilly and its external partners using industry standards and data integration methodologies.
- Use cutting edge information technologies to organize, harmonize, and analyze data
- Extend publicly available data sets, ontologies and taxonomies for internal Lilly use.
- Continuously scan the technology environment for new trends and techniques; interface with external consultants and thought leaders as needed.
- Synthesize new scalable approaches for Lilly data integration; derive the supporting arguments, communicate and articulate the reasons for the new approaches to fellow engineers as well as senior management.
Minimum Position Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science or related scientific discipline.
- 5+ plus years of experience designing large scale data models for functional, operational and analytical environments (Conceptual, Logical, Physical & Dimensional)
- 5 plus years’ experience in several of the following disciplines: data visualization, ETL / data wrangling, user-centric design, statistical methods, semantic graph interaction.
- Demonstrated SQL and data visualization proficiency.
- Experience with data visualization tools such as, PowerBI or AWS QuickSight
- Experience in one or more cloud-based data solutions.
- Experience with security models and development on large data sets
- Experience with multiple database technologies
- Experience with multiple database solutions (e.g. Postgres, Redshift, Aurora, Athena) and formal database designs (3NF, Dimensional Models)
- Demonstrated ability to analyze large, complex data domains and craft practical solutions for subsequent data exploitation via analytics.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with a geographically dispersed group of business and technical colleagues
- Ability to review and provide practical recommendations on design patterns
- CDMP Certification
- Previous health care experience
Bachelor’s Degree or relevant degree
Lilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly USA, LLC and our wholly owned subsidiaries (collectively “Lilly”) are committed to help individuals with disabilities to participate in the workforce and ensure equal opportunity to compete for jobs. If you require an accommodation to submit a resume for positions at Lilly, please email Lilly Human Resources ( Lilly_Recruiting_Compliance@lists.lilly.com ) for further assistance. Please note This email address is intended for use only to request an accommodation as part of the application process. Any other correspondence will not receive a response.
Lilly does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
To submit resume, visit https://www.lilly.com/careers and apply to Req ID R-10956.
Lilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Our scientists and researchers are developing the breakthrough medicines of tomorrow. Join us and become a creative innovator and thinker who can improve the lives of millions.
We’d love to meet you to discuss career opportunities. Check our calendar now to see when we’ll be in your area.View All Events
By signing up for job alerts, you’ll be the first to learn about opportunities that could be a great fit for you via periodic email updates.Sign Up
Join Our Talent Community
Share a bit about yourself, such as the career area you are interested in. We will then reach out to you when the perfect position is available!Sign Up