LCCI MD – IDS Data Engineer
At Lilly, we unite caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We are a global healthcare leader headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our 39,000 employees around the world work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to our communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. We give our best effort to our work, and we put people first. We’re looking for people who are determined to make life better for people around the world.
- Job Summary
At Lilly, we unite caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We are a global healthcare leader headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our 39,000 employees work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to our communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. We give our best effort to our work, and we put people first. We’re looking for people who are determined to make life better for people around the globe.
Business Units Information and Digital Solutions (IDS) is a global organization strategically positioned so that through information and technology leadership and solutions, we create meaningful connections and remarkable experiences, so people feel genuinely cared for. The Business Unit IDS organization is accountable for designing, developing, and supporting commercial or customer engagement services and capabilities that span multiple Business Units (Bio-Medicines, Diabetes, Oncology, International), functions, geographies, and digital channels. The areas supported by Business Unit IDS includes: Customer Operations, Marketing and Commercial Operations, Medical Affairs, Market Research, Pricing, Reimbursement and Access, Customer Support Programs, Digital Production and Distribution, Global Patient Outcomes, and Real-World Evidence.
The Enterprise Data program is developing a fully integrated and intuitive data and analytics platform. This platform will enable Lilly team members to quickly view, access, and analyze data sets in statistical environments, advanced analytics environments, and BI/visualization tools. Contributors can easily ingest, prepare, and analyze new data sets (cleanse, enhance, publish) for others to utilize.
Medicines Development serves a strategic function within Lilly Research Laboratories (LRL). Development of most medicines requires about a billion dollars and a decade or more to bring to market. At Lilly, we’re investing to make it faster, better and cheaper, to the benefit of patients... and the Information and Digital Solutions organization is a critical partner in reaching success. Broad trends in science and healthcare are driving integration across Medicines Development, Research, Manufacturing, and global Business Units. New digital capabilities in the broader business model, both internally and externally, will require agile and creative evolution of the processes and digital solutions that support clinical and product development.
The Enterprise Information and Platforms organization (EI&P) delivers technology foundations, standards, processes and governance required to support an enterprise approach to information management spanning multiple business entities, disciplines and platforms.This position will serve as the Analytics capability lead by providing strategic technical direction and project consultation for the Enterprise Data Program.The resource will be responsible for the design, development, enhancement, debugging and implementation of analytic workbench and reporting solutions (Internal and 3rd Party Tools) utilizing Agile methodology (i.e., Marketplace Delivery Capabilities).
Manufacturing and Quality IDS supports manufacturing operational excellence and productivity efforts through utilization of information and technology. Manufacturing is on a $1.5B productivity agenda and looks to technology to achieve a good portion of that savings. This includes maximizing the use of technology and analytics at all levels from supply chain planning to shop floor operations. MQ IDS strives to enable the making of medicine “with safety first and quality always”. In the pharmaceutical manufacturing industry, a convergence of information technology (IT) and operations technology (OT) is occurring. The emergence of technologies related to “Industry 4.0” is transforming our operations. Significant investment and usage of data and analytics in the making of medicine is occurring where capabilities from simple visualizations to predictive and prescriptive analytics and machine learning are rapidly emerging across the global manufacturing landscape.
Research IDS uses information technology for the scientific discovery of new therapies that are safe and effective against a disease. Our work helps researchers follow the science from idea to data creates the basis for clinical designs to answer scientific questions. As a member of the Research IDS organization you will work on efforts to streamline scientific experimentation, organize and manage data to drive analysis, and establish Advanced Analytics to enable the discovery of therapies and targets. You will have the opportunity to work in a highly technical, high pace, team focused, and scientifically challenging area responsible for delivery or platforms to support an ever change research environment.
This position is responsible for providing support for ETL / ELT / File Movement of data. The key responsibilities will be to process and move data between different compute and storage services, as well as on-premises data sources at specified intervals. The employee will also be responsible for the creation, scheduling, orchestration and management of data pipelines. Ensure successful transition of applications to service management team through planning and knowledge transfer Responsible for system testing, ensuring effective resolution of defects, timely discussion around business issues and appropriate management of resources relevant to data and integration
Data engineers are responsible for ensuring the availability and quality of data needed for analysis and business transactions. This includes data integration, acquisition, cleansing, harmonization and transforming raw data into curated datasets for data science, data discovery, and BI/analytics. Responsible for developing, constructing, testing and maintaining data sets and scalable data processing systems.
Data engineers work closest with Data Architects and Data Scientists. They also work with business and IT groups beyond the data sphere, understanding the enterprise infrastructure and the many source systems.
Input is raw datasets. Output is analytics-ready, integrated/curated datasets.
Key capabilities in this role family include:
- Data Acquisition - is the process of gathering and storing data in a location and format that it can be consumed for data preparation and/or downstream business uses.
- Data Preparation - is an iterative process for exploring, integrating, cleaning, validating and transforming raw data into curated datasets
- Data Publishing - is the act of releasing data in consumable form for (re)use by others.
Note: All data engineer roles should have a foundational set of knowledge in: communication, leadership, teamwork, problem solving skills, solution / blueprint definition, business acumen, architectural processes (e.g. blueprinting, reference architecture, governance, etc.), technical standards, project delivery, and industry knowledge.
Business Analysis and Technical Leadership
- Engages with business and proactively seeks opportunities to deliver business value.
- Understands business requirements and effectively translates business needs and process into technical terms, and vice versa
- Elicits and defines requirements
- Ensures appropriate business roles are engaged in solution execution.
- Participates in design reviews to ensure traceability of requirements.
- Networks with appropriate IT colleagues to determine solutions to meet business partners’ needs.
- Seeks opportunities to reuse existing processes and services to streamline support and implementation of key systems.
- Stay abreast of tools and technologies to influence IT strategy so that it provides best usage opportunities for business
- Partner with and influence vendor resources on solution development to ensure understanding of data and technical direction for solutions as well as delivery
- Ability to adapt quickly in a constantly changing environment
- Knowledge of Clinical Domain or Clinical Experience is highly desired
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, management information systems or equivalent work experience.
- 4+ years of experience in more than one language used by the solution services team (e.g. Python, Java, NodeJS)
- 2+ years of experience with relational and non-relational database technologies utilizing SQL, Data Functions and Procedures. (e.g. Relational, MPP and NoSQL)
- Foundational understanding with AWS services CloudFormation, IAM, Compute Services (EC2, Lambda), StepFunction, Apache AirFlow, API Gateway, Glue & Spark.
- Experience with application interface security and data security models.
- Expertise in the design, data modelling creation, and management of large datasets/data models.
- Expertise in system performance.
- Expertise with analytics and business intelligence solutions (e.g. Power BI, Quicksite, Trifacta).
- Experience in development and deployment on cloud infrastructure.
Preferred Qualifications / Certifications
- Experience working in regulated environments and with internal systems quality policies and procedures
- Experience in working in Scrum - agile methodologies, coding standards, code reviews, source management, build processes (CI/CD Pipeline).
- Knowledge of the data architectures associated with information integration, data visualization, & data warehousing
- Experience in development and deployment on cloud infrastructure
- Pharmaceutical or healthcare industry experience
- Defining best practices and developing technical standards, design principals, best practices, and frameworks
- Technical curiosity and desire to innovate
Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly USA, LLC and our wholly owned subsidiaries (collectively “Lilly”) are committed to help individuals with disabilities to participate in the workforce and ensure equal opportunity to compete for jobs. If you require an accommodation to submit a resume for positions at Lilly, please email Lilly Human Resources ( Lilly_Recruiting_Compliance@lists.lilly.com ) for further assistance. Please note This email address is intended for use only to request an accommodation as part of the application process. Any other correspondence will not receive a response.
Lilly does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
To submit resume, visit https://www.lilly.com/careers and apply to Req ID R-5506.
Lilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Our scientists and researchers are developing the breakthrough medicines of tomorrow. Join us and become a creative innovator and thinker who can improve the lives of millions.
We’d love to meet you to discuss career opportunities. Check our calendar now to see when we’ll be in your area.View All Events
By signing up for job alerts, you’ll be the first to learn about opportunities that could be a great fit for you via periodic email updates.Sign Up
Join Our Talent Community
Share a bit about yourself, such as the career area you are interested in. We will then reach out to you when the perfect position is available!Sign Up