Consultant Engineer SMDD
At Lilly, we unite caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We are a global healthcare leader headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our 39,000 employees around the world work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to our communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. We give our best effort to our work, and we put people first. We’re looking for people who are determined to make life better for people around the world.
At Lilly, we unite caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We are a global healthcare leader headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our 34,000 employees around the world work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to our communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. We give our best effort to our work, and we put people first. We are looking for people who are determined to make life better for people around the world.
Synthetic Molecule Design and Development (SMDD) is an innovation-focused organization within Eli Lilly and Company. Our dynamic group is made up of engineers, chemists, and pharmaceutical scientists. We strive to identify, develop, and apply ground-breaking technologies to deliver maximum benefit to our patients. Within SMDD, process engineering is essential to establishing a robust and sustainable supply chain for small molecules as well as other synthetic molecules such as peptides, oligonucleotides and antibody-drug conjugates. We seek to use new technologies for key problems, and we endeavor to continuously improve the way we develop and manufacture therapeutic molecules.
Candidates must demonstrate a history of strong technical depth and scientific leadership, a broad base of reaction calorimetry and safety analysis, and a willingness to promote a collaborative, team-based approach to problem solving. The candidate will have a combination of deep fundamental mathematical/science/engineering knowledge as well as mathematical modeling skills, with the proven ability to apply these skills to solve problems in reaction systems and other unit operations, at both small and large scale.
Specifically, the candidate will have experience in the following areas:
- Designs data-rich experiments that fully evaluate reaction safety parameters. Drives experimental design towards the collection of kinetic, thermodynamic and transport data in any type of unit operations to design impurity control and perform scale-up to manufacturing scale
- Designs, develops, and applies new, customized computer models/tools and also applies commercial computer modeling software
- Contributes to research projects and programs focused on development of specific small molecule and/or synthetic peptide active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) for clinical and commercial use
- Promotes general research and development effectiveness and productivity enhancement through analysis of safety data and the application of computer modeling, simulation, and optimization
- Ability to work independently, or more frequently, as part of a product development team consisting of other Chemists, Engineers, Formulation Scientists, analysts, program managers, and technicians.
- Self-motivated lead engineer to support manufacturing for early phase clinical trials with the following responsibilities:
- Work closely with external contract manufacturing organizations to assure that the correct process engineering data is collected and understood prior to production scale experiments
- Highlight key engineering challenges that still need to be solved when transitioning projects from early phase manufacturing to late phase development and commercialization.
- Evaluate safety data generated by third party contract manufacturing organizations and make suggestions where required to complete additional experiments or address safety considerations through implementation of engineering controls
- Design and develop model-derived solutions to support clinical manufacturing processes (batch and continuous) which enable material supply and a robust registration data package.
Ph.D. in Science or Chemical Engineering with 0-5 years of research and development experience in the pharmaceutical, materials, chemical, or related industry
- Ability to design experiments and oversee their execution in a third-party facility, and utilize results to develop mathematical models
- Some computer modeling expertise—application and/or development of computer modeling applications
- Proficiency with mathematical analysis programs, e.g., JMP, MATLAB, ASPEN, Dynochem, gPROMS
- Broad understanding of safety analysis and data interpretation to assure safe processes upon scale up
- Experience with continuous unit operation is preferred but not required
- Experience in applying optimization, computational fluid dynamics, and computational chemistry tools to solve process engineering problems is preferred but not required
- Limited international travel (2 – 4%) will be required
- Work hours flexibility to accommodate collaboration across multiple time zones
Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly USA, LLC and our wholly owned subsidiaries (collectively “Lilly”) are committed to help individuals with disabilities to participate in the workforce and ensure equal opportunity to compete for jobs. If you require an accommodation to submit a resume for positions at Lilly, please email Lilly Human Resources ( Lilly_Recruiting_Compliance@lists.lilly.com ) for further assistance. Please note This email address is intended for use only to request an accommodation as part of the application process. Any other correspondence will not receive a response.
Lilly does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
To submit resume, visit https://www.lilly.com/careers and apply to Req ID R-7201.
Lilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
Our scientists and researchers are developing the breakthrough medicines of tomorrow. Join us and become a creative innovator and thinker who can improve the lives of millions.
We’d love to meet you to discuss career opportunities. Check our calendar now to see when we’ll be in your area.View All Events
By signing up for job alerts, you’ll be the first to learn about opportunities that could be a great fit for you via periodic email updates.Sign Up
Join Our Talent Community
Share a bit about yourself, such as the career area you are interested in. We will then reach out to you when the perfect position is available!Sign Up