Diversity & Inclusion
Embracing diversity and inclusion is at the core of our long-held value of respect for people. It is the lens through which we understand and respond to the unique needs of the millions of individuals who depend on our medicines.
Our efforts to ensure a diverse and inclusive environment for our employees span the globe. For us, embracing diversity means understanding, respecting, and valuing differences, including but not limited to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
We strongly believe that the interests of our company are best served by a Lilly team that reflects the diversity represented within our communities and that takes full advantage of the unique inputs, perspectives, talents, and experiences of each and every person whom we engage in our work. The greatest measure of our diversity and inclusion efforts is our ability to attract and retain exceptional employees who feel comfortable in a culture that supports them being themselves.
Lilly is honored to have received recognition for its diversity initiatives. Some recent highlights include:
- DiversityInc “Top 50 Companies for Diversity” list, which recognizes corporate diversity best practices, for five consecutive years
- Working Mother, "100 Best Companies" for the last 20 years
- Science Magazine, "Top 20 Employer Science Careers"
- Top Companies for Executive Women, National Association of Female Executives
- Black EOE Journal, "Best of the Best" lists, Top Disability-Friendly, Top LGBT-Friendly Company
- Enterprise Engagement Alliance, "Top 25 Most People-Centric Company"
- Hispanic Network Magazine, "Best of the Best" list, Top Pharmaceutical & Biotech Companies
- Human Rights Campaign's Corporate Equality Index "Best Places to Work for LGBT Equality"
- LATINO magazine, Latino 100, list of top 100 companies providing the most opportunities for Latinos
- PM360, Pharmaceutical/Biotech Company of the Year
- Professional Woman’s Magazine, "Best of the Best" lists, Top Diversity Employer, Top Supplier Diversity Program, Top LGBT-Friendly Company, Top Disability-Friendly Company
Employee Resource Groups
Our employee resource groups (ERGs) are a critical part of the overall fabric of diversity and play a key role in the progress we are making. Approximately 12,500 of our employees are members of these 10 groups in more than 60 chapters, which are located at Lilly offices around the world.
They offer strong support networks for their members and help our company develop talented individuals for future leadership roles. In recent years, they have been expanding their grassroots activities into areas that have more direct ties to our business impact.
Put simply: ERGs support a richer, more inclusive workplace culture while partnering with the business to better serve our diverse marketplace. They provide valuable insight as we develop programs and relationships that help us improve lives.
All groups are open to our employees who have an interest in participating. We all benefit by learning about the many cultures that combine to make one Lilly.
- Africa, Middle East, Central Asia Network
- African American Network
- Chinese Culture Network
- Early Career Professionals
- Lilly India Network
- Organization of Latinos at Lilly
- People Respecting Individual Differences Equally
- Veterans Leadership Network
- Women’s Network
- Working and Living with Disabilities
Lilly celebrates a long history of commitment to veterans and supporting the military, both in the workplace and in the community. In May 1876, Colonel Eli Lilly founded what would later become the global research-based company Eli Lilly and Company. We are the only major U.S. pharmaceutical company founded by a U.S. military veteran.
As a company founded by a veteran, support for members of our military is part of our heritage. We offer an environment that is supportive to members of our military. Our commitment to the military includes career opportunities, veteran community programs, volunteerism, and other aid.
We give retired and current military members an opportunity to transition their skills and strengths to important work in the private sector. Members of the military are encouraged to explore our career opportunities and the advantages of working for a company that is focused on making life better for people around the world.
We currently provide time off for military duty and military family service member-related leaves, including military duty leave such as involuntary or voluntary activation, training, military family leave, and military family member-related leave. Additionally, we work with employees serving to ensure that benefits, pay, years of service to the company, and other details are handled in a manner that supports the employee’s ability to serve while maintaining his or her future with Lilly.